Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"In all I do . . ."

"In all I do, I honor you."
Singining these lyrics on a Sunday morning, sometimes I wonder how God is going to hold me to that promise. I think of the times that I haven't honored God in my life at all, and it saddens me.
So many times, I have allowed for my own selfishness, and pettiness, to take over "all I do."

Boiling away all the steam, honoring God really comes down to the basics like "the Greatest Commandment" found in Matthew 22:34-40:

"Hearing that Jesus had silened the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 'Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?'
Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.'"

When I read those words, it just seems to fall into place like the missing piece of a puzzle. A tired cliche, but still fitting. I have a piece of peace, for a moment. And then I get up, live my live, and trip over my own pettiness. Then I read the scripture again, and start all over again. I will never be perfect, because only God is perfect, but I find the attempt to honor God, better than my few attempts to walk away from God. Those were studies in misery. I would rather have my life be a study of flight, even if there are many crash landings in the middle of it.

As another favorite song of mine, sings, "If I get up, I might fall back down again - so let's get up, come on." (Superchick).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to share your awesomeness!